Friday, October 21, 2011

Rotator Cuff Injury

I fell off of a wall.  

Was on the way to a dinner when I tried to pummell horse over a metal railing and my leather loafers slipped.  I landed on my right (dominant) side wrist and then shoulder.   On the way down, I remember thinking, "I hope I don't break my neck".  When I got up after the fall, I first thought that I may have dislocated the shoulder but was able to rotate it externally.  But I knew that something had happened, perhaps a subluxation.  This probably when I tore the subscapularis off of the humerus.

Anyway, it hurt pretty much every night which is what eventually prompted me to have it repaired.  When I would try to sleep, it would seem that the muscle tone surrounding the shoulder would relax and the humerus would move out of joint subsequently putting pressure on the joint leading to pain.   At the beginning, I would have to put the arm above my head for comfort.  But as the months wore on, the shoulder became stiff and I was less and less able to raise it above my head.

MRI
Had a MRI arthrogram of the shoulder which was the diagnostic test of choice for these injuries as it allows visualzation of the injury.  It showed a tear of the subscapularis muscle along with some chronic changes.
While in the MRI, it was an uncomfortable process because of the positioning that they wanted you to be in.  I can certainly see why it would be uncomfortable for some to be in that small space.  Having large amounts of cool air blowing across your face is an important design feature.  Listing to some music would have been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment